ENLACES is a preventive program for children ages 9 to 13 of the vulnerable communities of El Chorrillo, San Felipe and Santa Ana, that develops their artistic potential through performing arts and gives them tools for self-care and social skills. Enlaces provides them a safe environment where they learn to respect each other, respect their bodies and ideas through contemporary dance.
Our goal is to grow as a local and regional cultural reference by educating a participatory and protagonist generation of social change through art. Since 2016, ENLACES has the support of Fundacion Espacios Creativos along with Calicanto Foundation for the program to grow towards that goal.
- In 2012, two boys from Enlaces were selected from a 600 children national audition to participate in a Panamanian television program called “Pequeños Gigantes”. The program consists of 12 episodes in which children demonstrate their dance skills and charisma.
- Three children participated in the dance and theatre production “Hansel & Gretel,” directed by Fernando Hurtado.
- In 2013, Enlaces received the CARSI Grant (Central American Regional Security Initiative) from the U.S. Embassy in Panama.
- In 2014, two students received Gold Medals in the Contemporary Dance international competition Danza Activa.
- Formal inclusion of the contemporary dance Enlaces curriculum into the Fatima Institute Nuestra Señora de la Merced, El Chorrillo.
- Four Enlaces students participated in the PRISMA Festival with the Massala Company of France.
- Program staff selected to provide training in the Art and Development Seminar in Alajuela, Costa Rica provided by Strachan Foundation.